Sunday, February 3, 2013

The promised snorkeling pictures!

This post is still about Christmas in the Keys. From the 1st day we went snorkeling. We had to get up at 7am (the picture below shows how many of us actually made it), to get to John Pennekamp State Park by 8, then we boarded the boat at 9. The water was a balmy 88 degrees, which is not nearly as warm as it sounds. Hence the wetsuits. Anyway, here's a great picture of my mom, my brother, and me. It's rare to get such a good picture of multiple people, so I'm really happy with this one!


The water was neon. This picture came the closest to capturing the absurd color.

These were crazy coral balls. They were huge, and too close to the surface to swim over, so I just sort of sat there staring at them. I have no idea why they formed that way.


Fan coral!


barracudas were everywhere! Every time I saw one I started singing Heart in my head. So... I was singing it constantly.


We saw sea turtles!!!! I had thought that because you don't see them on beaches in the winter, that we wouldn't see any. But if they're not on the beaches, than they're in the water!  Duh!


more fan coral. And some other cool corals


Coral reefs are so full of life! Who knew that they actually look like they do in paintings/movies (Nemo)/ at the aquarium!


Every time I look at these photos I just want to snorkel again! 
-Stella


No comments: