Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Joe's Valley!

So Joe's Valley, UT.

It's sandstone here, which is really nice because I know how to climb on sandstone! With other rock types (not sandstone) the small feet that you'd think you can stand on are all super slippery. It's nice to have not-so-slippery feet. I'm not as scared to try to use them.

Apparently I have a certain type of climbing that I'm good at (that sentence end was for you, Ross). There are two boulders right across the street from eachother near our campsite. We went to the one we saw in our guide and I made it up the V0-. The V0 was too hard! All the V3s there were pretty crazy hard too. I was so frustrated, but then we went across the street to the other boulder, and apparently it's much more my style. Out of the 10 problems we saw on the boulder, I sent 6 of them that day. We later read that two of them were V3s. I flashed one of them, and the crux move for me on the other was a move that I accidentally added before the climb was supposed to start. So I guess I did an extended version of the problem that was harder? By the end of the trip I did all the problems on the boulder but one. A V7. I can do it from a stand start, but the first move, going from sitting to where I can do it is too hard. Here's a photo of me attempting, but failing:
IMG_1245
The scenery here is pretty nice:
IMG_1209IMG_1150IMG_1116IMG_1135IMG_1324IMG_1343IMG_1125IMG_1263
especially the rocks. They are all different colors:
IMG_1306IMG_1335
IMG_1151IMG_1236
This rock is actually an airsoft pellet. They are all over the country:
IMG_1142
I got too excited with the camera and took these (I'm throwing the metal horns in the first one, but you can't quite see them):
IMG_1264IMG_1308
This problem is really famous, in fact, we have a mock set of holds at the gym to re-create it. It's called Black Lung - V13. Micah did not actually send it:
IMG_1141
This one is called Trent's Mom. Unfortunately, Micah tried really hard, but didn't do Trent's Mom:
IMG_1362
This problem that Micah's looking at is called Marble Cake. Any guesses why?:
IMG_1148
The Rail is a super classic Joe's problem. It's only V2 (supposedly), but just look at the surroundings! Beautiful:
IMG_1359
Most of you already know that Micah and I put up some first ascents!!! I'm so excited about it! They should be in the next guidebook to Joe's Valley. Micah's were Gorilla Liberation - V8ish and Treeble People - V5ish. Mine were The Dreaded WOODSian - V1ish and The Om and the Avatar - V6ish.

I feel like most people maybe misunderstood The Dreaded Woodsian. It has a double meaning. One meaning is me (because I always said I'd name my first FA Stella and that's close enough). The other meaning is because where there's one Woodsian, there's usually at least 15 more close behind. Thus, to other climbers (like, for instance, in the Black Corridor in Red Rocks), we are dreaded. Get it? Anyway, here's a picture of me doing The Om and the Avatar:
IMG_1204
The bouldering guide to Joe's is actually a bouldering guide to all of Utah. We finally broke down and bought it, only to find that another famous area was under 30 minutes away! A couple days later we took a day trip to Triassic. All the pictures are of Micah because I like the camera more than he does, I guess. Basically, it looks the same as the Joe's rock, but there are no pines and the boulders are super concentrated, which is sweet! Not much hiking:
IMG_1269IMG_1283IMG_1310IMG_1294
When we got back from Triassic, we had a visitor! Here's a picture of him on a hike with Micah:
IMG_1323
Here's a picture from the front:
IMG_1322

It was Nate-Dogg! He had just finished his job in Colorado, and was only about 2 hrs. from us, so he stopped by for a visit.

We also made a long video for Joe's. It shows a lot more climbing than the pictures do. Hopefully you won't get too bored!
(click for video)
for some reason it isn't working. I'll update it again in a few days and try to make it work. Maybe it will mysteriously start working in the meantime. Good luck!

I hope everyone is doing well! Don't forget to check out chetroy.com for Micah's blog. Leave lots of comments!
-Stella

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yes! i love new posts!

sooo glad you got to see the nate-dogg. congrats on the sendz.

also, chetroy.com doesn't seem to have any links or bloggish type features, *just* pictures of stacked rocks...am i missing something?

Anonymous said...

The video works fine!

Anonymous said...

Stella, those were some burly campus moves you were pulling in that video. Feet...? Who needs feet? I think I'll start calling you Stella Sharma. No, Papa Stella Sharma.

PS, tell Micah he's totally lame for only sending two V10's on his birthday.

chetroy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chetroy said...

Yo Stella
Just came across your blog (cool).Neat to see same trip from diff. perspective. Was wondering if you would like to swap links on the blog roll. That would be sweet.
peace

Amber
sometimes our navigation bar disappears on chetroy.com home page(pictures of stacked rocks). Try emptying your cache. From there enter blog. Hope you give it another try.
peace

Anonymous said...

Hey stella me and mom just watched the movie and looked through the pictures. It looks cool, school sucks 2 projects due each week and wrestling practice right after school.

Love Joe
P.S when are u coming to see us again; christmas, thanksgiving, never